As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Learn more.

Poisonous Plants In Maryland: What You Need to Know

Poisonous plants are common in Maryland and can pose a serious threat to humans and animals if ingested. Some of the most dangerous plants include poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. These plants can cause severe skin irritation, allergic reactions, and even death if consumed.

It is important to be aware of these hazards and take precautions to avoid them. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in Maryland.

9 Most Common Poisonous Plants In Maryland

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of Maryland. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.

Poison Ivy

If you’re planning on spending time outdoors in Maryland, it’s important to be aware of the dangers posed by poisonous plants. Exposure to poison ivy, which is one of the most common poisonous plants in the state, can cause severe irritation and swelling.

The affected area should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible if you come into contact with poison ivy. It is also recommended to avoid scratching the area since this can aggravate it.

If you have a severe reaction, you may need to seek medical attention. By being aware of the dangers posed by poison ivy and taking steps to avoid exposure, you can enjoy your time outdoors without worry.

Poison Oak

Poison oak is a type of shrub that contains a toxic substance known as urushiol. This substance can cause severe skin irritation and allergic reactions in humans. Poison oak is found in many parts of the United States, typically in wooded or brushy areas.

People who come into contact with poison oak may experience itching, redness, and swelling of the skin. In some cases, the reaction can be more severe, causing blistering and intense pain. If you think you’ve come into contact with poison oak, it’s important to wash the affected area immediately with soap and water. You should also avoid touching your eyes or face, as this can spread the toxin to other parts of your body.


Poison Sumac is a plant that can be found in various parts of the world. It is most commonly found in areas with wet soils, such as swamps and bogs. The plant typically grows to be about 6-12 feet tall and has leaves that are arranged in pairs. Each leaf is oval-shaped and has serrated edges. The leaves are green in color and turn red or orange during the fall season. Poison Sumac also has small, white flowers that grow in clusters. The fruit of the plant is a small, dry capsule that contains seeds.

Poison Sumac is considered to be one of the most poisonous plants in North America. The plant contains a toxic compound called urushiol. This compound can cause severe skin irritation and allergic reactions in humans. Symptoms of a Poison Sumac reaction include redness, swelling, blistering, and itchiness.

Stinging Nettles

Poisonous plants are not only a danger to humans but to animals as well. Stinging nettles are one such plant that can cause serious harm to both. The plant is covered in tiny needles that inject a chemical into the skin, causing a burning sensation. If ingested, the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

In extreme cases, it can even lead to death. Animals are especially vulnerable to the effects of stinging nettles, as they often eat the plants without knowing the dangers. It is important to be aware of these dangers and take precautions when around poisonous plants.


Jimsonweed, also known as Datura stramonium, is a flowering plant that can be found in many parts of the world. The plant is poisonous and can cause serious health problems if ingested. Symptoms of jimsonweed poisoning include hallucinations, delirium, and irregular heartbeat. In severe cases, the poison can lead to death.

Jimsonweed is most commonly found in fields and gardens, so it’s important to be aware of its presence if you’re working in these areas. If you think you or someone else has ingested jimsonweed, seek medical help immediately.

Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed is a plant that can grow up to 15 feet tall. The leaves are large, and the stem is covered in bristles. The flowers are white and umbrella-shaped. The plant is native to Central Asia, but it has been introduced to North America and Europe.

Giant Hogweed is poisonous to humans and animals. If the sap of the plant comes into contact with the skin, it can cause blistering and burns. If the sap gets into your eyes, it can cause blindness.


If you’re one of those people who love to have flowers in your home, you might want to think twice before adding daffodils to your bouquet. That’s because daffodils are poisonous plants that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even convulsions in humans.

The toxic component in daffodils is lycorine, which is found in the bulbs, leaves, and stems of the plant. When ingested, lycorine can cause gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea. In more serious cases, it can also lead to convulsions and respiratory paralysis.

Interestingly, daffodils are not toxic to animals. So if you have pets, you don’t have to worry about them getting sick from eating these flowers.


Rhododendrons are one of the most beautiful and popular flowering shrubs. But many people don’t realize that they can also be deadly. All parts of the rhododendron plant are poisonous, and ingestion can lead to serious health problems or even death.

The toxins in rhododendrons affect the nervous system, and symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, and seizures. If you suspect that someone has ingested a rhododendron plant, it’s important to seek medical help immediately.

While rhododendrons are lovely to look at, it’s best to admire them from a distance. Keep these poisonous plants out of your yard and away from children and pets who may not know better than to eat them.


Lilies are one of the most popular flowers in the world. They come in a wide variety of colors and sizes, and they have a beautiful, sweet fragrance. But lilies can also be deadly to cats.

All parts of the lily plant are poisonous to cats, and ingesting even a small amount can cause severe kidney damage or death. If you have a cat, it’s best to avoid having lilies in your home or garden.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.


It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in Maryland. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *