As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Learn more.

Poisonous Plants In Florida: Don’t Let These Plants Fool You!

Florida is home to many beautiful plants; however, some of these plants can be poisonous. It is important to be aware of which plants are poisonous, as they can pose a danger to both humans and animals. Some of the most common poisonous plants in Florida include oleander, rhododendron, and azalea.

These plants can cause a variety of symptoms if ingested, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, they can even lead to death. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in Florida.

9 Most Common Poisonous Plants In Florida

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of Florida. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.


Rhododendron is a large genus of flowering plants that includes both evergreen and deciduous species. The flowers are typically large and showy, making them popular for use in landscaping. However, many species of rhododendron are poisonous, containing toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested.

The most dangerous toxin found in rhododendrons is grayanotoxin, which affects the nervous system and can lead to respiratory failure. Rhododendrons should be avoided by small children and pets, as they are attracted to bright flowers and may not know to stay away from the plant.


Azaleas are one of the most popular poisonous plants. They are members of the Rhododendron family and contain grayanotoxin in their nectar. This toxin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if enough is ingested. The good news is that azaleas are not very palatable to humans, so it would take a lot of eating to get sick from them.

However, they can be dangerous to pets who may nibble on them without realizing they are poisonous. If you have azaleas in your yard, it is best to keep an eye on your pets and make sure they do not eat any of the leaves or flowers.


Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a beautiful, flowering shrub that is popular in many gardens. However, every part of this plant is poisonous and can be deadly if ingested. The poison is a glycoside called oleandrin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, heart problems, and even death. A trip to the emergency department or a call to poison control should be made immediately if oleander ingestion is suspected.

Sago Palm

The sago palm is a beautiful tropical plant that is popular in landscaping. However, this plant is also poisonous to both humans and animals. The sago palm contains cycasin, which is a toxic compound. This poison can cause liver failure and death in both humans and animals. The sago palm is also known as the king sago, Japanese sago, or cycad.


Dieffenbachia, also known as dumb cane, is a popular houseplant that can be poisonous if ingested. The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat. Symptoms of Dieffenbachia poisoning include burning and itching of the lips, tongue, and throat; difficulty swallowing; and nausea. The plant can also cause blurred vision and temporary blindness.

Rosary Pea

The Rosary pea (Abrus precatorius) is a plant that is native to tropical regions of the world. The plant is also known as the precatory bean, jequirity, and crab’s eye. The Rosary pea is a member of the Fabaceae family and is in the genus Abrus.

The seeds of the Rosary pea are used as beads in rosaries and prayer beads. They are also used in necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry. The seeds are very poisonous and can be fatal if ingested.


Holly is a common plant that is often used for decoration, especially during the Christmas season. However, few people know that holly is actually poisonous. The berries of the holly plant are the most dangerous part, as they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain if ingested.

In severe cases, holly poisoning can even lead to death. So if you have holly in your home, be sure to keep it out of reach of children and pets.


The Yew is a conifer that is native to Europe, Asia, and North America. It is an evergreen tree that can grow to 30 meters tall. The leaves of the Yew are needle-like, and the branches are thin and flexible.

The Yew has both male and female cones on the same plant. The berries of the Yew are poisonous to humans but are eaten by birds.

The sap of the Yew tree is also poisonous to humans. If ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and convulsions. The bark and leaves of the tree can also be poisonous if consumed in large quantities.


Lantana is a beautiful flowering plant that is commonly used in landscaping. However, what many people don’t realize is that lantana is actually a poisonous plant. All parts of the lantana plant are poisonous if ingested and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.

The toxins in lantana can also cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. So while it may be pretty to look at, it’s best to keep this plant away from both people and pets.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.


It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in Florida. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *