As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Learn more.

Poisonous Plants In Pennsylvania: Don’t Be Caught Off Guard!

Pennsylvania is home to many different species of plants, some of which are poisonous. Poisonous plants can cause a variety of symptoms if ingested, from mild nausea to death. It is important to be able to identify these plants in order to avoid them. Some common poisonous plants in Pennsylvania include poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in the state of PA.

8 Most Common Poisonous Plants In Pennsylvania

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of Pennsylvania. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.

Poison ivy

If you’re planning on spending time outdoors in Pennsylvania, it’s important to be aware of the dangers posed by poisonous plants. Exposure to poison ivy, which is one of the most common poisonous plants in the state, can cause severe irritation and swelling. The affected area should be washed with soap and water as soon as possible if you come into contact with poison ivy.

It is also recommended to avoid scratching the area since this can aggravate it. If you have a severe reaction, you may need to seek medical attention. By being aware of the dangers posed by poison ivy and taking steps to avoid exposure, you can enjoy your time outdoors without worry.

Poison oak

Poison oak is a type of shrub that contains a toxic substance known as urushiol. This substance can cause severe skin irritation and allergic reactions in humans. Poison oak is found in many parts of the United States, typically in wooded or brushy areas. People who come into contact with poison oak may experience itching, redness, and swelling of the skin. In some cases, the reaction can be more severe, causing blistering and intense pain. If you think you’ve come into contact with poison oak, it’s important to wash the affected area immediately with soap and water. You should also avoid touching your eyes or face, as this can spread the toxin to other parts of your body.

Poison sumac

Poison Sumac is a plant that can be found in various parts of the world. It is most commonly found in areas with wet soils, such as swamps and bogs. The plant typically grows to be about 6-12 feet tall and has leaves that are arranged in pairs. Each leaf is oval-shaped and has serrated edges. The leaves are green in color and turn red or orange during the fall season. Poison Sumac also has small, white flowers that grow in clusters. The fruit of the plant is a small, dry capsule that contains seeds.

Poison Sumac is considered to be one of the most poisonous plants in North America. The plant contains a toxic compound called urushiol. This compound can cause severe skin irritation and allergic reactions in humans. Symptoms of a Poison Sumac reaction include redness, swelling, blistering, and itchiness.

Giant hogweed

Giant Hogweed is a plant that can grow up to 15 feet tall. The leaves are large, and the stem is covered in bristles. The flowers are white and umbrella-shaped. The plant is native to Central Asia, but it has been introduced to North America and Europe. Giant Hogweed is poisonous to humans and animals. If the sap of the plant comes into contact with the skin, it can cause blistering and burns. If the sap gets into your eyes, it can cause blindness.

Water Hemlock

Water hemlock is a highly poisonous plant that grows in wet areas across North America. It can be easily mistaken for other, non-toxic plants, which makes it all the more dangerous. Water hemlock contains a toxic compound called cicutoxin. This compound affects the central nervous system, causing seizures and eventual death. The plant is most commonly found in wet areas such as marshes, stream beds, and lakeshores.

Despite its danger, water hemlock is sometimes consumed by mistake. The plant’s roots resemble those of edible plants such as carrots and parsnips. Water hemlock also has a sweet smell, which can make it tempting to eat. However, even a small amount of this plant can be deadly.

White snakeroot

White snakeroot (Ageratina altissima) is a poisonous plant that is native to eastern and central North America. The plant gets its name from the white, milky sap that is released when the plant is cut or broken. The sap contains a toxin called trematol which can be harmful to humans and animals if ingested. White snakeroot is often found in wooded areas and along roadsides.


Jimsonweed, also known as Datura stramonium, is a flowering plant that can be found in many parts of the world. The plant is poisonous and can cause serious health problems if ingested. Symptoms of jimsonweed poisoning include hallucinations, delirium, and irregular heartbeat. In severe cases, the poison can lead to death. Jimsonweed is most commonly found in fields and gardens, so it’s important to be aware of its presence if you’re working in these areas.


There are many poisonous plants in Pennsylvania, and one of the most dangerous is Deadly Nightshade. This plant can be found in woods and fields, and it is important to know how to identify it so you can avoid it. Deadly nightshade is a small shrub that grows to about two feet tall. It has dark green leaves and small, white or purple flowers. The berries of the plant are bright red and very poisonous. If you come into contact with this plant, wash your skin immediately with soap and water. If you ingest any part of the plant, seek medical help right away.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.


It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in Pennsylvania. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *