Poisonous plants are more common in Ohio than most people think. There are over 100 species of poisonous plants in the state, and many of them are easily mistaken for harmless weeds. Some of the most dangerous plants in Ohio include Aconite, Arum, and Belladonna.

These plants can cause severe skin irritation, swelling, and even blindness if they come into contact with the eyes. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in Ohio.

8 Most Common Poisonous Plants In Ohio

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of Ohio. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.

Aconite

The Aconite plant is a member of the buttercup family and is also known as monkshood or wolfsbane. It is a herbaceous perennial that typically grows to about 2-3 feet in height. The leaves are deeply lobed, and the flowers are purplish-blue in color. All parts of the plant are poisonous, but the roots and seeds are the most toxic.

Symptoms of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypotension, bradycardia, and CNS depression. Death can occur within hours of ingestion if not treated quickly and properly.

Arum

Arum, also known as Lords-and-Ladies, Jack-in-the-pulpit, or cuckoo-pint, is a flowering plant in the family Araceae. The plant is native to Europe and northern Africa and has been introduced to many other parts of the world. All parts of the plant are poisonous and can cause severe stomach cramps if ingested.

The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals which can irritate the skin and mucous membranes. The sap from the plant can also cause blindness if it comes into contact with the eyes.

Belladonna

The plant known as Belladonna, more commonly called deadly nightshade, is a member of the Solanaceae family. This plant is found throughout Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia. The belladonna plant can grow to be quite large, with some specimens reaching heights of over six feet tall.

The leaves of the belladonna are dark green in color and have a leathery texture. The flowers of the plant are small and white, and they grow in clusters. The berries of the belladonna are black in color and contain a high amount of alkaloid atropine. It is these berries that are most poisonous to humans and other animals.

Bryony

Bryony is a climbing plant that is found in woods and hedges. It has dark green leaves and small white flowers. The Bryony plant is poisonous if eaten. Symptoms of poisoning include stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.

In severe cases, it can lead to convulsions and death. The Bryony plant is not to be confused with the black bryony, which is also poisonous.

Celandine

The celandine plant is a member of the buttercup family and is found in Europe, Asia, and North America. The plant grows to about two feet tall and has yellow or orange flowers. The leaves are lance-shaped, and the stems are hairy. The plant blooms from May to August.

All parts of the celandine plant are poisonous if ingested. The sap can cause skin irritation. If the sap gets into the eyes, it can cause temporary blindness. Ingestion of the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

Daffodil

The daffodil plant is a beautiful yellow flower that is often seen in bouquets. However, what many people don’t know is that daffodils are actually poisonous. The daffodil plant contains a chemical called lycorine, which is toxic to humans and animals.

Symptoms of daffodil poisoning include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, daffodil poisoning can lead to kidney damage or even death. If you suspect that someone has ingested daffodil bulbs or flowers, it’s important to seek medical help as soon as possible.

Danewort

The Danewort plant is a flowering herb that is native to Europe and Asia. The plant can grow to be up to two feet tall and has small, white flowers. The leaves of the Danewort plant are what contain the poisonous compound. When ingested, this poison can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and convulsions.

In severe cases, it can even be fatal. The good news is that the Danewort plant is not commonly found in the United States. However, if you do come across it, it is important to know how dangerous it can be.

Daphne

The Daphne plant is a beautiful yet deadly plant that is native to North America. The plant can grow up to four feet tall and has small white flowers.

The leaves of the plant are what contain the poison, and if ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. The plant is most commonly found in wooded areas and gardens.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.

Conclusion

It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in Ohio. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Write A Comment