As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Learn more.

Poisonous Plants In North Carolina: 8 To Watch Out For!

Poisonous plants are a topic of interest for many people, especially those who live in areas where these plants are found. While some poisonous plants are more dangerous than others, all of them have the potential to cause harm if they are ingested or come into contact with the skin.

In North Carolina, there are a few different poisonous plants that residents should be aware of. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in the state of NC.

8 Most Common Poisonous Plants In North Carolina

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of North Carolina. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.


Azaleas are a type of flowering shrub that is native to Asia. They are commonly used as ornamental plants in the United States. Azaleas can range in color from white to pink to purple and can be found in many different varieties. While azaleas are beautiful, they can also be very dangerous.

All parts of the plant, including the flowers, leaves, and stems, contain a poisonous substance called grayanotoxin. This toxin can cause a number of different reactions in people, ranging from mild skin irritation to difficulty breathing. In severe cases, grayanotoxin can be fatal.

If you come into contact with an azalea, it’s important to wash the affected area immediately with soap and water. You should also seek medical attention if you develop any symptoms.


One of the most dangerous plants is the belladonna plant. Also known as the deadly nightshade, the belladonna plant is a beautiful but deadly plant that is native to Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia. The belladonna plant gets its name from the Italian word “belladonna,” which means “beautiful woman.”

The plant is so named because of its beautiful flowers. The belladonna plant is a member of the Solanaceae family, which also includes potatoes, tomatoes, and chili peppers. The belladonna plant is a perennial herb that can grow up to four feet tall. The plant has large, dark green leaves and small, white or purplish flowers.

The belladonna plant is most commonly found in woods, meadows, and hedgerows. The belladonna plant is extremely poisonous. All parts of the plant are toxic, but the most poisonous part is the root. Just a small amount of the root can be deadly.

Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley is a beautiful, delicate flower that is often used in bouquets and floral arrangements. But did you know that Lily of the Valley is actually a poisonous plant? The entire plant is poisonous, but the most toxic part is the bulb. If ingested, Lily of the Valley can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even heart arrhythmias.

So why is this plant so popular if it’s so dangerous? Well, Lily of the Valley has a long history of being used as a medicinal plant. In medieval times, it was used to treat a variety of ailments, including fever, seizures, and even madness. The poisonous nature of the plant was actually seen as a benefit, as it was thought to purge the body of toxins.

Nowadays, we know that Lily of the Valley is not a safe or effective treatment for any ailment. But the plant still has a certain allure, and many people continue to use it in bouquets and arrangements. Just be sure to keep it away from small children and pets, and never ingest any part of the plant.

Morning Glory

Many people are familiar with the beautiful morning glory plant. It is a climbing vine with large, trumpet-shaped flowers that bloom in the morning. The flowers are usually blue but can also be white, pink, or purple. Morning glory plants are native to the Americas but have been introduced to other parts of the world, where they are often considered invasive species.

While morning glories are beautiful, they are also poisonous. All parts of the plant contain compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain if ingested. In severe cases, morning glory poisoning can lead to convulsions, coma, and even death.

Children are particularly at risk of serious health complications from morning glory poisoning, as they are more likely to eat the plant’s leaves and flowers. There have been a few reported cases of morning glory poisoning in the United States, but the plant is not commonly considered a serious threat.

However, if you have morning glories growing in your yard, it is important to keep them out of reach of children and pets. If you suspect that someone has ingested a poisonous plant, seek medical attention immediately.


When it comes to houseplants, caladiums are some of the most popular. They are known for their beautiful, colorful leaves and their ability to thrive in shady areas. However, what many people don’t realize is that caladiums are actually poisonous.

If you have young children or pets, it is important to be aware of the dangers posed by caladiums. The plants contain a chemical called calcium oxalate, which is toxic to humans and animals. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. In severe cases, calcium oxalate can lead to kidney failure.

Castor Bean

Castor bean plants are beautiful, but they are also incredibly poisonous. The castor bean plant is native to Africa, and it is related to the coffee plant. The beans of the castor bean plant are used to make castor oil, which is used in a variety of products, including lubricants, cosmetics, and medicines.

The plant is also used as an ornamental plant in many gardens. The castor bean plant is poisonous because it contains ricin, a toxin that can be fatal if ingested. Ricin is a protein that is found in the bean of the plant, and it is highly poisonous if inhaled, ingested, or injected. Symptoms of ricin poisoning include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and seizures.

Chrysanthemum (Mums)

Chrysanthemums, also known as mums, are beautiful flowers that come in a wide variety of colors. They are native to Asia and have been cultivated for centuries. Chrysanthemums are popular flowers for both fresh and dried arrangements. While chrysanthemums are generally considered to be safe, there are some varieties that are poisonous. The most dangerous type of chrysanthemum is the red spider lily.

All parts of this plant are poisonous, and it can cause severe illness or death if ingested. If you suspect that someone has eaten a red spider lily, call poison control immediately. Other types of chrysanthemums that are poisonous include the yellow and white varieties. These flowers contain a chemical called pyrethrin, which can be harmful if ingested. If you suspect that someone has eaten a poisonous chrysanthemum, call poison control immediately. If you have chrysanthemums in your home, it is important to keep them out of reach of children and pets. All parts of the plant are poisonous, and ingestion can lead to serious illness or death.


The Crocus Plant is a beautiful flower that can be found in many gardens. However, this plant is actually quite poisonous. The Crocus Plant is native to the Mediterranean region and is a member of the Iris family. This plant can be found in a variety of colors, but the most common are purple and yellow.

The Crocus Plant contains several toxic compounds, including alkaloids, saponins, and glycosides. These compounds can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested in large quantities. The Crocus Plant is also known to be a skin irritant, so it is important to wear gloves when handling this plant.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.


It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in North Carolina. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *