As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Learn more.

Poisonous Plants In Mississippi: Don’t Touch That!

Most people are familiar with poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, but there are many other plants that can cause skin irritation, sickness, and even death. In Mississippi, there are several poisonous plants that grow in the wild, including jimsonweed, oleander, and stinging nettle. These plants can cause serious health problems if ingested or if they come into contact with your skin. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most common plants to watch out for in Mississippi.

7 Most Common Poisonous Plants In Mississippi

The following is a list of some of the potentially poisonous plants you could find in the state of Mississippi. Keep in mind that the local areas could have other poisonous plants as well.

Deadly Nightshade

There are many poisonous plants in Mississippi, and one of the most dangerous is Deadly Nightshade. This plant can be found in woods and fields, and it is important to know how to identify it so you can avoid it.

Deadly nightshade is a small shrub that grows to about two feet tall. It has dark green leaves and small, white or purple flowers. The berries of the plant are bright red and very poisonous. If you come into contact with this plant, wash your skin immediately with soap and water. If you ingest any part of the plant, seek medical help right away.

Water Hemlock

Water hemlock is a highly poisonous plant that grows in wet areas across North America. It can be easily mistaken for other, non-toxic plants, which makes it all the more dangerous. Water hemlock contains a toxic compound called cicutoxin. This compound affects the central nervous system, causing seizures and eventual death. The plant is most commonly found in wet areas such as marshes, stream beds, and lakeshores.

Despite its danger, water hemlock is sometimes consumed by mistake. The plant’s roots resemble those of edible plants such as carrots and parsnips. Water hemlock also has a sweet smell, which can make it tempting to eat. However, even a small amount of this plant can be deadly.


Moonseed is a fast-growing, climbing vine that produces black berries. The plant is native to the eastern United States but can be found in other parts of the world. Moonseed can be found in woods, fields, and along roadsides.

The plant gets its name from the shape of its seed, which resembles a crescent moon. The seeds are poisonous to humans and animals if ingested. The poison is caused by a chemical called quinine. Symptoms of moonseed poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and death.

Moonseed is sometimes used as an herbal remedy for malaria and other diseases. However, it should only be used under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional.

Rosary Pea

Rosary peas are a beautiful, bright red legume that has been used in jewelry and other decorative items for centuries. But this plant is more than just pretty – it’s also deadly.

The seeds of the rosary pea contain a toxin called abrin. Just one seed can kill an adult human. Abrin works by preventing the cells in our bodies from making protein. This eventually leads to organ failure and death.

There is no antidote for abrin poisoning, so it’s important to be aware of the dangers of this plant. If you suspect that someone has ingested a rosary pea seed, seek medical help immediately.


Aconitum is a genus of flowering plants that includes over 250 species, many of which are highly poisonous. Aconitum plants are native to temperate and alpine regions of the Northern Hemisphere, and several species are found in Mississippi.

All parts of the plant are poisonous, and ingestion can cause severe gastrointestinal distress, arrhythmias, and even death. Aconitum plants should be avoided, and if ingested, medical attention should be sought immediately.


Spring is in the air, and that means it’s time to start thinking about your garden. If you live in Mississippi, you might be wondering which plants are safe to grow and which ones are poisonous. Jimsonweed (Datura stramonium) is a poisonous plant and can be found in fields, roadsides, and other open areas. The plant is easily identified by its large, white flowers.

The plant contains a toxic compound called atropine. Atropine can cause symptoms such as Dilated pupils, Dry mouth, Flushed skin, Hallucinations, High blood pressure, and Rapid heart rate. Jimsonweed is especially dangerous to children and pets. If you suspect that your child or pet has eaten any part of this plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Castor Bean

The Castor Bean is a beautiful but potentially deadly plant. The bean contains a poisonous substance called ricin. Ricin is a natural insecticide, and it is also used in manufacturing.

It is estimated that just one castor bean can kill an adult human. The plant is native to Africa, but it has been introduced to other parts of the world, including the United States. The Castor Bean is often grown as an ornamental plant, but it should be kept away from children and pets who might mistake it for something safe to eat.

Virginia Creeper

Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) is a common woody vine in the eastern United States. It is often found growing in old fields, forest edges, and roadsides. The vine has small, dark green leaves with five leaflets. The leaves turn red in the fall. The small, greenish-white flowers are followed by dark blue berries. The berries are poisonous to humans but are eaten by birds. 

Grapes are a family of plants that include the Virginia creeper. The leaves and berries contain compounds that can cause stomach upset and vomiting if eaten in large quantities. All parts of the plant contain these compounds, but the berries have the highest concentration. Small children and pets are at the greatest risk of poisoning because they are more likely to eat berries.


Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a beautiful, flowering shrub that is unfortunately poisonous. All parts of the plant contain toxic saponins, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested. The plant is especially dangerous to small children who may be tempted to put its colorful flowers in their mouths.

Oleander is native to the Mediterranean region but has been introduced all over the world as an ornamental plant. In warm climates, it is often used as a hedge or privacy screen. If you have oleander in your garden, take care to keep small children and pets away from it.

Stinging Nettle

Stinging nettle is a common plant that can be found in many parts of the world. This plant has long, thin leaves that are covered in tiny hairs. These hairs contain a chemical that can cause a burning sensation and skin irritation when they come into contact with the skin.

In some cases, people may also experience an allergic reaction to this plant. If you come into contact with stinging nettle, it is important to wash the area with soap and water as soon as possible. You should also avoid touching the plant with bare hands.

What are the symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant?

When it comes to poisonous plants, there are a few different ways that they can poison someone. The most common way is if the person ingests the plant. 

This can happen if they eat something that contains the plant or if they eat the plant itself. Other ways that someone can be poisoned by a poisonous plant is if they touch it and then touch their eyes or mouth or if they breathe in the pollen from the plant.

The symptoms of poisoning from a poisonous plant will vary depending on which plant it is and how much of it was ingested. However, some general symptoms to look out for include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and cramping. 

If you think that you or someone else has been poisoned by a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as some types of poisoning can be very serious and even life-threatening.


It is important to be aware of the poisonous plants that can be found in Mississippi. By taking the time to learn about these plants, you can help keep yourself and your family safe when spending time outdoors. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by a plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *