Were you raised with cats and dogs? Do you have a cat or a dog as a pet in your home? What if your favorite pet became unwell as a result of chewing on decorative plants that you believe add beauty to your home? And you’re completely unaware of it! You’ve also come to the perfect location if you’re seeking information about elephant ear plants and pets.
Ornamental plants enhance the appearance of your house and give a pleasant sense throughout the day. But did you know that some of these lovely indoor plants can be fatal to your beloved dog or cat? I’m sure you’d never consider putting your pet’s life at jeopardy. The elephant ear plant is not suitable for pets.
The Elephant Ear plant is one of the plants that is commonly found in houses for ornamental purposes. It gets its name from the enormous heart-shaped leaves that resemble an elephant’s ear. Colocasia esculenta is a plant that belongs to the Araceae family. The elephant ear plant and its pet relatives can be extremely harmful to cats and dogs, causing life-threatening illnesses in them.
Is Elephant Ear Toxic to Dogs?
The elephant ear plant contains calcium oxalate acid, which is particularly destructive because its crystals bind to the tissues of the dog’s mouth and skin and deeply enter it, producing great agony. If your dog has Alocasia, you will notice the symptoms right away.
Pawing at the mouth and on the face, foaming, and drooling are some of the symptoms. This is a serious problem, so get your dog to the vet right now. It can also make it difficult for your dog to swallow and breathe because it constricts the air passageway. Its leaves and thorn might cause your dog to have a hazardous skin and eye response.
Sickness Symptoms in Dogs
The following are the most common signs of elephant plant poisoning in dogs:
- Mouth ache
- Pain in the eyes
- Swelling of the lips
- Pain in the abdomen
- Swallowing difficulties
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Eyes that are watering
- Throat irritation
- Eyes that are bright red
- Breathing difficulties
- Throat irritation
Avoid planting this decorative plant in your house or anyplace near a spot where your pet may obtain it as a preventive step to avoid this plant-based poisoning. If your dog has been poisoned, take it to your veterinarian so that he may perform more blood tests and urinalysis, as well as administer necessary medication to rid your dog of the toxin.
A veterinarian will need your medical history and any previous vaccinations, as well as your dog’s symptoms, after the physical examination has been completed and the veterinarian has learned about the dog’s symptoms, such as temperature, abdominal palpitations, blood pressure, and heart rate, in order to properly diagnose your pet.
Depending on your dog’s circumstances, it may be kept under observation for the night and treated with antihistamine and diphenhydramine. Sucralfate is also given to dogs to assist them to deal with gastrointestinal discomfort.
You may now take your dog home, but be sure to feed him suitable food for a few days as recommended by the veterinarian because his stomach will be upset, and avoid keeping elephant ear plants near him. Give your dog the recommended medicine and a separate area where he may relax and rest properly so that he will recover quickly.
What if your dog nibbles the plant by accident? When a dog ingests calcium oxalate, it experiences excruciating agony; you may offer first aid as quickly as possible to alleviate the discomfort your dog is experiencing.
First and foremost, make sure to rinse your dog’s mouth several times to reduce the inflammatory condition and flush the water. Milk, cheese, or any other dairy food will aid in the precipitation of calcium oxalate crystals in your dog. Water treatment is required if your dog is suffering from diarrhea and vomiting.
Antihistamine and anti-inflammatory medications should be given to the dogs orally or intramuscularly, as recommended by the veterinarian. If you see that your dog is not improving with this medication and that it is becoming difficult for him to breathe, take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible so that his health may be closely checked and irritation decreased.
Is Elephant Ear Toxic to Cats?
Cats and dogs are both poisoned by the elephant ear plant. They are also particularly susceptible to it; as soon as they come into touch with it, they experience oral inflammation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, mouth discomfort, and dysphagia, much like dogs.
Sickness Symptoms in Cats
Elephant ear plant symptoms are similar in cats and dogs; the signs and symptoms are as follows:
- Uncomfortable stomach
- Eyes that are watering
- Oral discomfort
- Lethargic attitude
- Drooling excessively
Simply keeping your cats far away and apart from these plants is one of the preventative precautions you may take to safeguard your pet. Also, try not to keep them in your home. Give them first aid or take them to the vet as soon as possible if they come into touch.
Antihistamines, which the vet will prescribe after a thorough physical examination, can assist to reduce swelling in their mouth and within their mouth, as well as inflammation in their air pathway, allowing them to breathe normally. They are given 0.25 mg of Sucralfate every 8 hours or as needed depending on your cat’s belly pain and intestinal irritation.
What if it was eaten by a cat?
If your cat ate elephant ear plants, make sure he gets plenty of water and is well cared for. As previously stated, offer him some quiet and relaxation and provide him with first-aid care at home as quickly as feasible. It will take 12 to 24 hours for him to recover, but if he does not, take him to the veterinarian for a thorough examination and blood tests to adequately assess the problem.
What About Other Animals
Dogs, cats, and horses are usually poisoned by elephant ear plants. Except for vomiting, which is not present in horses, all of them have the same signs and symptoms. These dogs are in excruciating pain as a result of it. Aside from that, little research has been done on its hazardous impact on fish, and it is unknown if it is dangerous or not.
This plant has no effect on other animals or pets in any way. However, if you have a pet, it is still preferable to utilize other decorative plants at home to keep them out of harm’s way.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Harmful to Pets?
Is this plant toxic to your pet, if you’re seeking an answer? Yes, it is hazardous and poisonous to your pet, particularly if it is a dog or a cat. The leaves and stems of this plant are poisonous to horses, while the leaves and stems are poisonous to fish.
Is Elephant Bush poisonous to animals?
The foliage of the Portulacaria Afra ‘Elephant Bush’ is made up of little succulent plants. These are non-toxic to both dogs and people and are tasty. They are simple to cultivate in your home and are completely safe for cats, dogs, and other household pets.
What happens if an elephant ear plant is eaten by a dog?
If a dog eats any portion of an elephant ear plant, he will suffer from severe oral irritation as well as belly discomfort. The dog begins to drool excessively, and vomiting is also seen with diarrhea, according to the ASPCA. After eating an elephant ear plant, the dog may have difficulties swallowing.
How would a dog react if it ate an elephant ear plant?
The leaves of Colocasia esculentum, often known as elephant ears, contain a lot of calcium oxalate, which is extremely harmful to cats. It can cause respiratory problems as well as significant stomach pain. Although it is potentially dangerous and can kill cats if not properly cared for or handled.
Is the Elephant Food Plant Toxic to Dogs?
This plant contains toxic compounds for dogs, particularly calcium oxalate. It can put the dog’s life in jeopardy, thus it should be rushed to the veterinarian right away. In dogs, it can induce oral edema and a slew of other problems.
I am delighted you stumbled across this post if you have any pets at home and are seeking a link between elephant ear plant and pet. Although the Elephant ear plant is beautiful and will draw you in right away, it contains calcium oxalate, which is very dangerous to dogs and cats and can put their lives in jeopardy. Try to get rid of them as quickly as possible if you have them now! If you have pets at home, I think you will find it extremely useful.